Thursday, July 12, 2012

More from July 11

As I mentioned, Perry left to return to the U.S. today.  I spent the day "working".   I cleaned the apartment, washed clothes in the tiny washing machine,and then  dried them by hanging them on the drying rack.  That reminds me that there are no pictures published to show the apartment.   I'll give that a try.

Always needed in a Paris apartment--flowers.



Thank goodness the TV gets the BBC.   It's nice to hear English sometimes.

This tine kitchen does not allow for much cooking, but the pasta we made one night and the eggs in the morning are welcome.

Yes, that is a window in the shower.

Plenty of storage space

Comfy bed with wonderful linens.  Always a good night's sleep.  

Then I wandered around the stores on the Rue de Rivoli as the second markdowns are in process for the semi-annual sales.  It was a big change of pace.  Although I did not take pictures, it was interesting to watch Parisians dig through the sales racks to find that big bargain.   I saw many shopping bags, so I know there was serious shopping taking place.  

The "Patriots" took a break today, but here is some interesting information..... John Adams did not have enough to do in Paris as he was not in charge of the Franco-American negotiations.  He did engage in many walks across the city and here is an excerpt from some of his letters.  Included are his observations on  France, and French women.

MY DEAREST FRIEND,

....If human nature could be made happy by anything that can please the eye, the ear, the taste, or any other sense, or passion, or fancy, this country would be the region for happiness. But if my country were at peace, I should be happier among the rocks and shades of Penn's hill ; and would cheerfully exchange all the elegance, magnificence, and sublimity of Europe, for the simplicity of Braintree and Weymouth.

...To tell you the truth, I admire the ladies here. Don t be jealous. They are handsome, and very well educated. Their accomplishments are exceedingly brilliant, and their knowledge of letters and arts exceeds that of the English ladies, I believe.

What do you enjoy about France??



2 comments: